Prosuma

Historical

The Prosuma Group was established in 1966 as the Société Ivoirienne de Promotion de Supermarchés, and opened its first 750 m² Nour Al Hayat supermarket that year. Since local production was at a very low level, the company soon became an importer and supermarket manager.

During the 1980s, Prosuma expanded by:

  • taking over a 500 m² store from Champion (Sidec)
  • forming a third company (Codistal) to operate a 900 m² supermarket under the Super Hayat trademark
  • and setting up a central purchasing department to improve productivity

During this period, competition intensified with the entry into the market of two new competitors:

  • the SMTC Group (Trade Center supermarkets)
  • the SCOA Group (Score stores)

In 1992, the shareholders of Prosuma and Codistal entered into discussions with their counterparts at the SMTC Group.

The merger became effective on June 1st 1993, at which point Prosuma became owned 50/50 by the two companies, and a management board was formed.

The Prosuma Group continued to grow with the assistance of a private investor, and as a result was able to take over the entire network of Score stores in Côte-d’Ivoire, as well as its chain of mini-markets and a 12,000 m² warehouse located in the port.

In October 1996, Prosuma opened a new 1,300 m² supermarket under the Trade Center Prima trademark.

November 1999 saw the signature of a draft agreement with Sococé, a company operating a shopping centre and a 3,000 m² hypermarket, to form a new company called S2P. The company was owned 75% by Prosuma and its shareholders, with the remaining 25% held by the owner of the Sococé stores. S2P then acquired the entire Sococé retail network.

From its initial capitalisation at formation of XOF 20 million, Prosuma has since increased its share capital to today’s level of XOF 10,050,000,000 (€ 15,321,126). At 31 December 2013, its equity capital stood at XOF 19,076 billion (€ 29,079)

The Kassam family , who built the building Nour Al Hayat, starts its first store in Plateau.
  • 1966
    The Kassam family , who built the building Nour Al Hayat, starts its first store in Plateau.
  • 1982
    The Fakhry family opened its first supermarket in the building Trade Center Plateau.
  • 1983
    The Fakhry family , who took over another selling point, « the Industrial Refrigeration » Plateau passed under the sign Trade Center.
  • 1988
    Super Hayat supermarket opening in the shopping center « La Galerie »
  • 1993
    Kassam and Fakhry decided to merge the two groups. « We realized that we had converging views for trade development in Côte d'Ivoire and that we share the same values ​​», says one of the leaders . «It seemed to make sense to synergize our strengths and resources. So we have chosen to create a rich group of all its components by carrying out a merger », added the CEO .
  • 1998
    Prosuma opens its capital to the Group Mercure International of Monaco , led by Mr. Adnan Houdrouge.
  • 1999
    Prosuma creates S2P company , it controls 75% in order to resume the activities of the Club Sococé stores.
  • 2000
    Opening the Cap Sud shopping center , adjacent to « La Galerie ». Opening of the first Mediastore
  • 2008
    Acquisition of « La Galerie ». All the mall goes under the aegis of South Cape
  • 2012
    Prosuma sets up a strong partnership with Casino, leading international brand . The first store will open Casino in the new North Cape Mall in September 2012. Opening the second Mediastore and Sony.
  • 2014
    Expansion of Cap Sud to accommodate new retail spaces and transform the Super Hayat supermarket hypermarket named Hyper Hayat
  • 2015
    Prosuma signs a partnership with FNAC, a French specialist in the distribution of cultural goods and high tech.
  • 2016
    Prosuma unveils a new brand: the first Casino with the Mandarin concept in the world.

Prosuma

Our brands